Wednesday, March 19, 2008

M I S T I S S I N I

So this town consists of Indians like me and has about 3500 - 4000 people. I been thinking what does this community offer or have. So I thought hmmm... what's really in here.
Seriously I don't think I take pride in my culture and I may need to get that right.. I think....

Anyway, I live in a... almost a town looking place, a mini town. As you enter into the community, there's several home ownerships they call 'em here where people build their place and no longer rent as that is the norm around here. There are nice homes for non Natives or (white folks) who come to live here and work for them Indians like me. They're nice people I think, but it's not like I know them personally, but on the professional side they look like great people. I think we take them for granted at times. When you think of it, them people leave their homes and relatives to help and make things better here. I like the fact that most of these people come because they have a passion to what they want to do in life... making a difference for one or two or 300 people. It's amazing how far and wide one passion can take us or several passions... you get the point.

Ok and then we have 2 gas pumps.. lol. i mean gas stations, one Esso and one Crevier I think...
One Police station and most officers are Native Indians and we have the Band Office building where the Chief's office is located with his many many workers and everyone works for the community... again mostly Indian and non native as well. Around that area is a Youth Center and it's a hang out place still to this day I think and outside of it is a basketball court. There's also a elder's home not far from there as well and they are well taken care of.

We have a few stores and 4 schools - preschool - elementary -high school and a Christian school. There's 1 Clinic. And 2 clothing stores and 1 sports store and 1 grocery store. We also have a video world to rent out movies. We have the Head Office for the Cree School Board. One reception center for the regional James Bay area for children who need special attention and one group home. O ya, 1 post office and o ya one old arena and one brand new sports complex and in it has an auditorium or court for sports, an arena in it and a fitness center. Let's not forget we have 3 daycare centers and who knows another may be built. :O

There's also a laundry mat with a car wash on the side. I think there's a garage far back in the bushes.. well not really, it's just not 'in' the community. There's also a like a mini 'staples' store.

The houses around here are similar on one street and the next street may have a slightly different but they all look the same in most areas.

There are 3 churches as well and one hotel with a restaurant in it (3*hotel) :P. There's also a restaurant called Adels, a firehall and we have a trailor park too.

So there's my mini town - community called Mistissini

meaning Big Rock (misti =big + sini = rock!!)

No comments:

intellectual + mirror

My photo
Im Indian Im not the average Indian girl Im not as dark as I wish to be Deer is me