Monday, March 31, 2008

1986


Last week while having dinner with mom and dad, this one line came out of the blue. "You were non status until 1986". They were joking around about.... history I guess I dunno how to put it. They're funny people. But every now and again, my mom will mention that she married a "white" guy and my dad gets all proud of it and has this funny smirk, but anyway the point here is that maybe, perhaps, and could it be possible that is to why I don't really care about my so called Indianess if there is such a word? Seriously though, I am not proud of being "First Nations" as we are called. I just think I'm Indian and it's not a big deal as most people think it is. Whenever I see the sign "Native Pride" just makes my head go whatever!

My dad did not get his Native status until that year... and since my birth I had my mom status number.. funny but yea the government gives or labels us with numbers so they don't get mixed up or whatever. But you know what I mean. Everyone gets a number like the SIN #, but we precious Indians have an extra number. :)

And here we know that our significance comes from our fathers. If my dad had a question mark for so many years because he could not be labeled or known as Native or Non Native, then how did that affect him? It's almost like he could not be accepted from both ends. Funny that! But not really I suppose.

It's so weird cause his mom is full on Cree :P and his dad is i dunno how many percentage of Creeness and Whiteness in him. But anyway, I just thought that was very interesting to my knowledge.

I also know from stories from back in the day when everyone had their lil "area" or parts to live, my grandparents lived a bit out of the rest of them Indians as if they were not Indian! They totally talked and lived like Indians. weird isn't it?... hope you are not offended reading this... just don't take it too seriously. Anyway the small bay my grandparents lived was called the "bad white folks" because that was the Iserhoff area. And it's all because of that Hitler dude. Iserhoff is a German name.

Anyway that is my mini history. It always fascinates me to know of my 'culture' I guess. Interesting donchya think?

Now I leave a picture of a true Indian standing on Native land - My Dad.

No comments:

intellectual + mirror

My photo
Im Indian Im not the average Indian girl Im not as dark as I wish to be Deer is me